Families will make incredible memories at the 5th Annual “Park After Dark”! Enjoy creepy games, spooky science, and indoor/outdoor family fun at this unique event. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks’ Museum of Natural Science and the Mississippi Children’s Museum are partnering again to host the event on Friday, October 28, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. The museums are adjacent to one another in Jackson, Mississippi’s “LeFleur Museum District” at the intersection of I-55 and Lakeland Drive.
EVENT ACTIVITIES: SCIENCE MUSEUM
“Treat your family to one-of-a-kind Halloween fun! There isn’t another event like this in Mississippi. It’s our version of night at the MUSEUMS! Dress up in costume. Get candy. Tour two museums. And, enjoy special Halloween activities.”
Charles Knight, Director, MDWFP Museum of Natural Science
This year, the MDWFP Museum of Natural Science is also hosting the “Goose Bumps: The Science of Fear” exhibit. “We couldn’t have asked for a better exhibit to feature at this year’s “Park After Dark”!” says Nicole Smith, Conservation Educator for the MDWFP Museum of Natural Science and the Park After Dark coordinator. “Our theme this year amps up the playful part of facing your fear of monsters, spiders, and more in a kid-friendly way,” Smith continues.
- Wear your costume, travel the Haunted Hallway, and fill your candy bag!
- Take a ghoulish selfie with the Spider Queen on her spider web throne!
- Visit with Dr. Frankenstein. See his Creature brought to life in the Fear Theater!
- Boogie over to the Halloween Dance Hall. Dance with alligators and turtles under the disco-ball to kid-friendly Halloween music.
- Challenge each other as you play the Goosebumps Fear Challenge. Face your fear of falling, fear of electric shock, fear of animals, and more!
- See a mermaid swim in the aquarium! Don’t miss the Beetle Circus!
- Snuggle up with your family to hear friendly ghost stories in the amphitheater! “Swamp Sam” and “Cranium: The Voo-Doo Man” will delight you with their stories.
“Your family will create special, lifetime memories at “Park After Dark”! Many families dress up. We’ve seen the Flintstone’s and superhero families! Last year, my son and I dressed up as a squirrel and acorn. It was a blast. Those pictures are priceless!”
Angel Rohnke, Asst. Director, MDWFP Museum of Natural Science
EVENT ACTIVITIES: MS CHILDREN’S MUSEUM
Activities at MCM include:
- Academy of Kung Fu Karate Exhibition led by Tray Crake
- Spooky spin-art
- Mask making
- Slime creation experiment
- Gummy worm science
- Exploding pumpkin
- “Monster Mash” Dance Party
- Character costume photos
“We love this event and enjoy partnering with the MDWFP Museum of Natural Science every year! Park After Dark gives families a safe place to trick-or-treat, dress-up in creative costumes, and have fun while learning.”
Kellye McMillan, Director of Marketing, MS Children’s Museum
PARKING AND SHUTTLE BUS
Law enforcement will direct parking at both museums and the Smith-Wills Stadium lot on Lakeland Drive. A shuttle bus will run continuously between the Smith-Wills parking lot, the MDWFP Museum of Natural Science, and the Mississippi Children’s Museum.
Tickets are $8.00 per person and include parking, entry into both museums, and all “Park After Dark” activities. Advance tickets can be purchased at www.mschildrensmuseum.org until October 28th. Tickets may also be purchased at the door of either museum the evening of the event. Have a hauntingly good time!